These Healthy Date and Pecan Cookies are so easy to make that even my two and a half year old could do it! They were a perfect choice for my Tasty Tuesday recipe of the week.
I have two very active toddlers who both seem to have boundless energy stores keeping them going all day long. Neither of them stop for sleeps during the day to recharge so I have found that it is important that they have a balanced diet that consists of foods which have a low GI (slow release, long lasting energy).
I have mentioned previously that we are trying to turn a healthy corner here and I have had mixed success with foods I have made that have had limited sugar in them. I am happy to compromise on this as I would rather my children ate food I made from scratch rather than highly processed bought foods.
I was stoked, therefore, that my children devoured the first batch of these sugar free, gluten free and dairy free cookies. I had to put them out of reach to stop both my children and my husband from eating them all before the week began!
My children are not huge fans of nuts so I made the decision to leave the pecans out altogether as I didn’t want to risk them having something to not like about these cookies. I may slowly introduce them in future attempts but honestly, they were so delicious as they were that I may not even bother.
Here’s the recipe – it makes about 30 cookies!
DATE AND PECAN COOKIES
3 cups almond meal
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/2 vanilla pod (scraped)
1 cup medjool dates (pitted and chopped)
1/2 cup pecans (chopped) (We left this out)
1. Preheat oven to a moderate 180 degrees, Line 2 oven trays.
2. In a large bowl, stir almond meal, flour, bicarb soda, salt and spice together.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, honey, oil and vanilla.
4. Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Mix in dates and pecans.
5. Roll tbspns dough into balls and flatten between your palms. Place on tray 2cm apart.
6. bake for 8 mins until golden.